One Little Monkey

Monday, August 15, 2005

Musicology 101

So, I've decided that I am a music theorist. Theologian? Whatever. I don't mean I can actually analyze chords or the actual music, but I feel I have an adequate grasp on meaning.

For instance, today, while listening to the Alternation, this great station run out of a local high school that doesn't play commercials or let DJs talk, I heard that song about the singer not wanting to live like their father. I don't know what it's called and I don't really feel like searching for the answer.

I never liked that song, but today I listened to the words. I decided it's a Faux Inspirational song. Faux, because it's really just too angsty. Wah, wah, wah, my daddy didn't pay attention to me, I'm not going to let it bother me and I'm not going to treat my kid like that, but, wah wah wah, it does bother me because I have to write some cheesy song about it.

Later I heard Superman, by Five For Fighting. See, this one has a good message.He's just a man in a silly red sheet (aside: a friend of mine used to sing it silly red sheep). That's inspirational.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home