One Little Monkey

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Ch-ch-ch-changes

It was several months ago, of course, but today I was thinking about Halloween. This past Halloween, my sister, who is in 5th grade, went as a "gangsta rapper" (her words). She wore big baggy pants and lots of bling.

When I was in fourth grade, I also went as a musician. Only I was a punk rocker. I wore a pink spiky wig, bright blue leggings (leggings!), a pink mini-skirt and some sort of 80's-esque top (perhaps even off-the-shoulder).

It's interesting to see how, at about the same age, my sister and I chose essentially the same costume for Halloween. Except, because it is 17 years later, the current identifiable musicians differ. I suppose there was also a time when people may have dressed as a generic British invader. It would have been interesting if she had dressed as a punk rocker because I bet very few, if any, of her little friends would have had any idea what she was. They probably would have even struggled with identifying her as a throw-back of the 80's, let alone what from the 80's she was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home