One Little Monkey

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Just a Word

I don't like the word buddy, I've decided. It's ok if one is talking about two animals (or two babies, I s'pose) who are hanging out together just chillin', especially if it's two unlikely friends, like a cat and dog or a hippopotomus and a donkey. It's fine to say they're buddies. I'm also ok with it if it follows "bathroom" or is followed by "check" and one is swimming at Girl Scout Camp. I do not like it as in "my buddy and me" (unless it's My Buddy with some capitalization). I once knew I kid who used the offending word all the time, rather than "friend" or "pally" or "pizza pie", even. And I always suspected he didn't really have any buddies because he was always at his mom's house.

There. I've spoken my piece.

2 Comments:

  • I have a few pet peeves also with words. I absolutely abhor attending a seminar and hearing myself and the other attendees addressed as "you guys." First of all, I'm not a "guy". Secondly, it sounds immature. I also cringe when I hear two women say, "Hey Girlfriend! What's going on?" as if they're in the sorority of sisterhood. Yuk! Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:10 AM  

  • "pizza pie"???

    By Blogger srah, at 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home