One Little Monkey

Friday, September 16, 2005

Let Me Just Take a Little Nap

So at my new job, I often do something that involves chloroform. Every time I do this, I imagine myself passing out. Just falling over and landing on the ground. I feel this fear is a bit unneccesary (and unrealized), yet everytime I forget to hold my breath as I open the container or pour the chloroform, I have this same vision.

(Slight aside: one of my biggest somewhat realistic fears (unlike the other three mentioned earlier) is to have something happen to me when I'm alone at work or at my apartment and have no one know about it for several days.)

3 Comments:

  • Chloroform is a double whammy. You could pass out from it or from holding your breath too long not trying to breathe it. Isn't there a fume hood nearby? When in doubt, I usually pour stuff in the fume hood.

    I'm surprised they let you work alone in the lab. The company I used to work with made you keep all your work with nasty chemicals to daytime hours and you needed a backup if you were doing anything after 5 PM or you'd get in big trouble. This was to prevent precisely the problem that you mentioned - passing out or getting injured with no one there. I thought it was a good rule.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:07 PM  

  • I have the same fear, although obviously not chemicals-related.

    By Blogger srah, at 3:07 PM  

  • I am there during the day, people just come and go. So I guess someone would stumble on me eventually.

    By Blogger Cheryl, at 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home