One Little Monkey

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Under the Guise of Shoulder Work

I ended up going through a sobriety check point last night on my way home. It was kind of exciting. The main part of Kent (i.e. not residential streets) is 4 miles around, not including The Kent Car Strip (a bunch of car dealers). There are about 9 different equidistant ways to get to my apartment from anywhere and I chose the one down the biggest road (4 lanes and 35 mph). There were all these construction signs and orange cones but as I got closer I saw all the police cars. The only thing I smelled like was brownies because I was coming from my friend's house where we had watched Smile (a decent storyline but horrible horrible dialog and plot and character development) and eaten lots of pastries. So it was all kind of fun for me. The kids in front of me got pulled over. They had to get out of the car and walk over to the car parts parking lot and one of the officers then drove their car (after making sure it wasn't a manual). The whole thing was like a police sting that I was involved in because I was the good guy.

Drunk driving seems to be a huge problem in Ohio, or maybe just this area, because they're always setting up these check points. Sometimes they even tell you where they're going to be. And recently they passed a law that said if you get 16 DUIs you have to go to jail or something extremely slap-on-the-wrist for 16 DUIs. This kind of poor judgement, on the part of the people and the lawmakers, is something I don't understand. But I'm glad I do my part and play the sober driver and can help out at the check points (by being a sober driver).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home