One Little Monkey

Thursday, September 01, 2005

I'm Going to Mackinac City. Mackinac City, Here I Come

I'm off camping this weekend. Every year, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, friends of the family and my immediate family members get together and camp in Indian River, just south of Mackinac City. On Labor Day, we walk across the Mackinac Bridge.

For those of you who don't know, this is the big ol' bridge connecting the Upper and Lower Penninsula of Michigan. It's 5 miles long and only open to pedestrians once a year.

Hopefully, I'll come back with some good stories. We've never had a boring year. Here are some previous years:

- Cheryl gets left behind by family on Mackinac Island
- The motorhome blows a tire going from the bridgewalk back to camp and all 20 people pile out to stand on the side of I-75. My grandpa hitchhikes.
- Police wait outside the camp and confiscate boats and trucks of some men who were throwing explosives into their campfire the night before
- We lose my grandpa in the city after he cuts in line to get on the buseswhile the other 19 of us go to the end
- Six adults in the cab of the truck, 20 "kids" (some of us were 21) in the bed
- We get yelled at by the rangers for being too loud
- We get yelled at by the rangers for being too loud

2 Comments:

  • I like the last one (two).

    By Blogger srah, at 4:17 PM  

  • I don't remember the police, but Cheryl you have to let the whole left behind thing go.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home