One Little Monkey

Friday, August 05, 2005

My Stories

What bothers me most about soap operas, aside from how the characters "know what's going on here" when they don't, and how they drag a day on in a month, is the damsel in distress mentality. I'm ok with the occasional damsel, because I do enjoy chivalry, but where are the strong women? Even the seemingly strong ones (who fight everyone to bring home their child or whatever) crumble under the least amount of stress. For example, a tsunami has hit Harmony. As all these couples are being hit by giant waves, what are the women doing? Screaming, crying, while the men are rescuing them. Ok, I get that it's scary. But EVERY SINGLE WOMAN on the show was all, "help me help me, will we be safe in this car, the tree's too high up, don't leave me, I'll wait here while you go rescue the little boy where it's all safe, I'll do whatever you say, I don't think I could survive this if you weren't here, you saved my life, I'll go lie down to rest as you demand" etc, etc, etc. And then men are the ones to bust up the club where the evil man is peddling drugs. And, on DAYS, the manly men concoct a secret plan to fly into the war zone and rescue their fallen brethren.

When I'm out with guy friends, I often stand at a door until one opens it for me. But that doesn't mean I can't swim on my own or stay awake if some bad thing were to happen. If someone were to talk to me like they do on soaps, I'd not do what they told me just out of spite (yeah, I'm stubborn) unless I really believed their he-man strength would prevent me from falling out of a tree house.

1 Comments:

  • Hehe. I think I've given up on women in fiction altogether, televised or written. Either they're damsels, or people call them butch. Why can't there be an in-between?

    By Blogger sojoyful, at 9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home